Price Reduced! Michigan 188-Acre Hunting Homestead for Sale! This property is located two miles south of historic Bruce Crossing. This community is located in southern Ontonagon County in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. This Village is located at the junction of US Highway 45 which runs north and south, and M-28 which crosses east-west, roughly parallel to the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad line, which is now a main east-west snowmobile trail (No. 8). In 1845 an overland mail route was established from Green Bay, Wisconsin, to Ontonagon Village. It provided service during the winter months and became a nationally designated wagon route (known as the Military Road). Military road intended to connect Fort Howard at Green Bay with Fort Wilkins at Copper Harbor. Construction of the road began in 1863, and a small relay station was established in 1868 to accommodate the men working on the road’s construction. This served as the birth of Bruce Crossing. Logging companies and their camps followed the construction of the Military Road. The Diamond
Match Company obtained most of the timber rights in the area by the early 1880s and maintained some of the earliest camps in the region. The railroads reached the area by the late 1880s. With the founding and operation of the numerous sawmills along the banks of the Baltimore River, the Clear River, and other waterways, Bruce Crossing took on a greater sense of permanence. The first Settler was August Neuman, who built a sawmill at the location. The first permanent structure constructed in Bruce Crossing - in 1886 - was Donald Bruce’s hotel, store, and saloon, built at the crossing of the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway and the old Military Road, to house the railroad workers arriving in the area. The community was officially named Bruce's Crossing when its post office opened on March 5, 1888. The name came from the first postmaster, Donald M. Bruce. It was shortened to Bruce Crossing on August 13, 1891. By 1907, Bruce Crossing boasted two stores and two saloons. Farming and Logging coexisted in the area. Men working in the logging camps harvested timber during the winter months, and then returned to their farms in the summer. Agriculture and lumber industries continued to dominate the communities, with. The property being offered for sale is gently rolling and generally open. A tributary of the Baltimore River touches the south-western corner of the property. 17-Acres of the property contain the 2-Bedroom Home; a 9x25 Metal Storage Building; a 10x11 Chicken Coop, with 11x12 Pen and 9x10 Covered Wood Storage area; a 9x11 Metal Storage Shed; and 9x18 Sauna with Dressing Room. The 10 Acres near the south-west of the property contain a 544 Square-Foot Hunting Cabin, Sauna, and Storage Buildings. A Generator provides power for the cabin. The cabin over-looks a pond that is fed by the creek. There are two Trailer Ground Blinds on the property. There is a Forest Management Plan in place, with 161-Acres of the property enrolled in the Michigan Commercial Forest Tax Program. The soils of old farm fields, contain large amounts of clay, which are excellent for the growth of timothy, and hay production. They are being mowed, and these open areas attract lots of Whitetail deer. Food plots would be great here! There are un-mowed areas along the wooded edges to provide habitat for wildlife. The forested portions of the property contain hardwood, balsam, and aspen. The beauty of this property must be seen!