Lusk is located approximately 37 miles northeast of Houston, Texas, almost midway between Interstate 45 and Highway 59. The property is perhaps one of the few remaining large, contiguous blocks of land close to the metropolitan area of Houston.
Bordered by the Sam Houston National Forest, the acreage is unencumbered by conservation easements or supply agreements. The Houston Metro Region is one of the fastest-growing economic regions in the world. To facilitate this growth, 11 counties in the region, including Montgomery and San Jacinto, have collaborated to promote industry and master-planned communities.
Lusk is currently managed for timber production and recreational use. The property benefits from excellent practical access for forest operations through a combination of public and private roads. Internal access to the timber stands is through a network of improved woods roads. The timber stands offer favorable operability with near-term commercial harvest activity. The property is within short-haul distances of multiple domestic customers. Approximately 79% of the acreage is currently classified as suitable for pine plantation management. The cover types are summarized as:
• 7,719± acres of pine plantations
• 1,549± acres of recent pine cutover
• 329± acres of natural pine/pine-hardwood
• 1,681± acres of hardwood
• 496± acres of non-forest land
The upland acreage has a diverse age class distribution of pine plantations, with an average plantation age of 13 and an overall site index of 73 feet (base age 25).
The plantation acreage includes:
• 3,518± acres of merchantable pine plantations (less than 12 years of age) with an average age of approximately 23.4 years and an overall average site index of 65 (base age 25). These acres carry approximately 244,500 tons of pine volume equating to 70 tons per acre.
• 4,201± acres of premerchantable pine plantations (greater than 12 years of age) with an average age of approximately 4.3 years and an average overall site index of 79 (base age 25).
AFM has set up an electronic data room containing information for bidders to use as they evaluate the property. All prospective bidders who execute a Non-Disclosure Agreement (Nda) will be granted access to the data room
Lusk Timberlands is being presented for sale in its entirety, as a single-stage, lump-sum sealed bid event, with no further option to subdivide. Prospective bidders are invited to participate in the process upon execution of the Nda. Final bids will be due January 29, 2020.